eshda3wa

April 24, 2010

Nakhee, Bajela & a Moral Story




When I was just a little kid, i was out with my aunt somewhere in shwaikh.

On the way back I told her I wanted some Nakhee, Bajela and iranian bread for dinner.

She bought the stuff for me and while driving down the street she saw a young man in dirty clothes helping a very elderly looking man in even dirtier clothes stand up right.

She looked at me and said " eshda3wa why don't we give the poor man the food we have now and when we get closer to home ill buy you some more"

I remember shaking my head vigorously. " no i want my food"

My aunt gave me a look and said "but eshda3wa you don't want that very old man to go to sleep hungry do you? 7aram."

I reluctantly agreed. and my aunt rolled down her window and called the young man over. after inquiring about him for a bit she handed him the food, and the young man beamed and headed over to his father who waved at us and then lifted his hand up in prayer.

The whole way back between my questions every 3 minits about her buying me new food, she explained to me about how there are people less fortunate than us in this world, and about how whenever we can we should always help them.

I don't know how much my little self absorbed that day, but i saw my aunt repeating the same thing time and time again.

My grandma used to fill boxes with sandwiches and go distribute them to the poor workers in petrol stations, super markets, the chabra.
we used to do that nearly every weekend.

I was familiar with the concept of giving to the poor, but that day my aunt taught me how to give up something that was mine. Something that i wanted to have , not something i made to be given away.

I think many of us over look that.


A few days ago while i was with her in the car again, her grandchildren wrecking havoc in the back seat, we stopped for nakhee and bajila.


In the parking lot of the jam3ya she saw a man sweeping the street. She handed her 8 year old grandson some nakhee and bread and told him to go give it to the man and say thank you.

I heard her repeat the same story she told me years ago to the eager faces of the little kids.

I saw their brows furrow and their little heads nod.

And the only thing i thought was wow.

I wish their were more people like my aunt around.
posted by eshda3wa at 12:00 AM

19 Comments:

Yup u r lucky to have an aunt like her, God bless her <3

April 24, 2010 at 12:11 AM  

awww, allah ykather men amthalha inshallah ..

April 24, 2010 at 12:32 AM  

Really wow .. We need more people like that in our world :)

April 24, 2010 at 12:32 AM  

Very moving and nice story. It actually reminds me of a similar incident that happened with me when I was a kid as well, but that's too long a story to mention in this comment. However, just reading the title of your post reminded me of something funny that happened last night: the guys and I were in a sheesha place and I wanted nakhi, none of the egyptians working there knew what "nakhi" is and none of us knew what nakhi is called in egyptian. I ended up spending 1/2 an hour trying to explain what nakhi is only for them to tell me "oooooh we don't have that sorry"

April 24, 2010 at 1:27 AM  

mashallah 3leha allah e5aleha lekom enshallah <3 *goosebumps* o eshtahait na5y o 5ubez erany o ana emsawya rejeem allah esam7ich :'(

April 24, 2010 at 1:29 AM  

First of all, mashallah 3alikom wo allah yjazeekom kel 5air (y)

I liked how I started my day with reading this post :D People like your aunt are blessed with some kind of gift that not all can understand! Her grandson is lucky to have her as a grandma :D

April 24, 2010 at 10:16 AM  

zina
thank u !

errant
we really do

zabo0o6a
thankx babe

ali m
yala write the story in a post!
and i think its called 7ums elsham no?

zuz
after writing this post i went and got me some
hehe

msha3rha
thank u sweety

April 24, 2010 at 1:13 PM  

she's a wonderful person that aunt of yours;)
Im starving and now I want nakhi o khubz erani !! :<

April 24, 2010 at 7:06 PM  

I wish there were more people like you're aunt too :`) i have tears in my eyes...

Allah yekhaleeha lokom insha2 allah o ya36eeha 3la qadd neyat.ha ya rab

plz send her this from me :*

April 24, 2010 at 10:23 PM  

Mashallah there are very few people like you and your aunt :)

April 24, 2010 at 10:23 PM  

Questionq8
she is she is!

amu
thank u

danderma
ameen ya rab
:***

April 25, 2010 at 6:36 AM  

ذكرتيني ببابا عود الله يرحمه

كان حتى قطاوة الفريج يشتري لهم ميد كل يوم وهو راد من الدكان

وكل يوم ورا صلاة الفير يفرش حق البنغاليه الي يخمون الشوارع سفره بالحوش ويحط لهم من النخي والباجلا ولي صار الشتا حط لهم اش عشان يدفي بطونهم

لازلنا احفاده وابناءه نسوي نفس الشغله بشكل شبه يومي بحوش المسيد بعد صلاة الفير وبعد صلاة العصر الاكيد انه المصلين يجمعون البنغاليه مره ثانيه ويحطون لهم غدا من المطعم الي يم المسيد

April 25, 2010 at 11:44 AM  

That's a great lesson to teach a kid.

God bless.

April 25, 2010 at 9:21 PM  

chabreet
mashalah 3alaih oo allah yr7ama inshalah.
its good that u guys learned from him oo allah ykather min amthalkom

F.
long time girl!
thanks

April 25, 2010 at 10:50 PM  

EE wallah, I wish people had grown more kind.
Tadreen 3ad, once I went to a shoppng center and I had 2 shawirma sandwiches, there was a lady, who keeps the place clean, looking at me. After I had eaten my dinner, I called her and I gave her the second sandwich. I saw her after I had gone throwing the sandwich in the rubbish bin!!

Mu kafo ni3ma.. 7adha shab3ana bass tabi ikramiya e6'aher :S

April 26, 2010 at 4:04 PM  

I remember shaking my head vigorously. " no i want my food" <==== lool that was the best part! :P~

April 30, 2010 at 4:26 AM  

Awhhh such a nice story
Missed you girl :*

May 1, 2010 at 10:26 AM  

God bless her.
Really nice :D

May 6, 2010 at 9:41 PM  

that's such a touching story...
really niceee..
thanks

May 9, 2010 at 12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home