eshda3wa

December 13, 2008

BeGone BeGone Rashes BeGone :(



I told him that I can't wait until I see my mother; I haven't seen her since June.

He told me he hasn't seen his mother since 1990. Fadhel was a soldier in Sadam's military, the same one that invaded Kuwait.

He escaped the regime. Then, Saudi held him captive in the desert for ten years, that's when he lost communication with his mother, siblings, wife and unborn child.

The United Nations intervened and sent him, along with the rest of the captives, to the US where they were considered refugees.

Years later, in Oregon, he reunited with his wife. He saw his son for the first time. His son, Sibi3,was in middle school.

His wife reconnected Fadhel to his mother.

Tonight, Fadhel is going to see his mother for the first time in 18 years.

18 years.

We're landing together, then he's making his was to Basra, Iraq.

Many thoughts came to mind, and my questions to him were endless.

He barely answered any of them….not to my satisfaction at least.

He seemed quite composed. He didn't seem too emotional. He didn't seem eager.

He didn't seem nervous. He wasn't scared. He was happy. Just happy.

18 years of parting.

I still can't get over it.

I asked him how he felt, several times, but he failed to accurately express his feeling and thoughts.

I wanted to know exactly how it feels to miss someone, to part with them, for so long, for Too long, and finally see them again.

I want to know.

I wanted to know if he ever gave up on seeing her again.

I wanted to know if he's afraid of what might have changed.

I wanted to know if he fears her disapproval or that she might not be proud of who he is today.

I wanted to know. I want to know.

He was very calm and collected…until he saw the land from the plane's window.


For my own personal Eighteen Years;

an under-appreciated masterpiece:

...أنا أقدر اغالب في البعد جرحي وأخلي العين تضحك والقلب مايدمع



*This is a true story - as sent to me by email*
posted by eshda3wa at 12:10 AM

28 Comments:

miskeeen, allah ewa9lah 7ag his family safely.. to reunite...

you cant know how he feels, nobody knows really how he feels unless they were in his situation or a similar one.

December 13, 2008 at 12:51 AM  

the same questions I had with myself, and also the same disappearance of my calm during landing, when I was going to meet the person who I haven't seen for months but felt like years :)

December 13, 2008 at 1:03 AM  

18 years!!!

December 13, 2008 at 1:14 AM  

You posted 10 min late from 12:00 :P J/K

Well inshalla everything is gonna work for him inshalla ^^

December 13, 2008 at 1:27 AM  

wow!

18 years!

i think he might have forgotten what it feels like aslan to see his mom again =S

allah y3eena...i hope everything worked out for him...

December 13, 2008 at 1:34 AM  

18 YEARS!!!

December 13, 2008 at 1:44 AM  

Anyone here Kuwaiti??

December 13, 2008 at 2:38 AM  

:((((((((((

December 13, 2008 at 3:16 AM  

that is very sad :(
alah y3een oma shloon t7malat 6ool hal sneen not knowing if her son is alive or dead!

btw the link doesn't work..

December 13, 2008 at 3:17 AM  

maskeen !! ana 4 months w bamoot !

December 13, 2008 at 3:40 AM  

OMG 18 YEARS!! :(

3asa allah ye3awa'9o, at least his mom is still alive and he gets another chance with her!!

December 13, 2008 at 8:02 AM  

I hope you, me and oeveryone never knows the feeling to that!

December 13, 2008 at 9:13 AM  

omg y3awer elgalb! Allah yridda bel salama 7eg ahala and i hope they reunite so quickly

..wish him all the best, good luck!

December 13, 2008 at 11:14 AM  

the hardships he endured thru-out his life made him num...

December 13, 2008 at 12:28 PM  

How does the title fit the post?

December 13, 2008 at 1:25 PM  

ollaa 18 year!! ashwa i'm too small for those stuff to happen!!

December 13, 2008 at 4:24 PM  

I'm sure it's not easy for him to go through this....


hmmmm i am curious now too!! I wanna ask him how he feels!

December 13, 2008 at 7:35 PM  

I cried when my mom went to Hajj for 10 days!!!

18 years is just too long!!

December 13, 2008 at 9:40 PM  

"His son, Sibi3" LOL, I knw touching, dramatic story and all bas I couldn't stop myself :p so after 18 years Sibi3 9ar hand..?

December 13, 2008 at 10:14 PM  

When you part ways with someone you feel a lot of pain, but when enough time passes by it's possible for your feelings to die, love is like a flower, if you stop giving it water it might wither and die, yet the memory might always stay if there was no one to replace that person whom you lost.

December 13, 2008 at 11:23 PM  

its not a nice feeling ,, being in a situation taqreban like him ,, i can only tell u that ;p

December 14, 2008 at 12:17 AM  

wow thats sad :( but im curious, what is being held captive in the saudi desert about? for what?

December 14, 2008 at 8:00 AM  

wow !

Go0osh ! 18 years ! ..

allah yes3edeh inshalah =)

December 14, 2008 at 6:24 PM  

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW i hope for a happy rejionment !!!

December 14, 2008 at 7:56 PM  

*tears*

wow!!

December 15, 2008 at 2:38 AM  

Gosh!!
I don't think I would be a live if I parted with my mom for 3 years not 18!!

December 15, 2008 at 9:41 AM  

I think when separation is accompanied by captivity and when it goes on for such a long time...the person sort of makes peace with the fact that they may never be free, never see their loved ones again. That and living such a hard life as prisoner for so long makes one tough in the face of emotions...
I dunno...that's how I imagine it to be like.

December 15, 2008 at 5:38 PM  

This man seems to have been through a lot! alah esa3dah!

December 16, 2008 at 12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home