eshda3wa

November 21, 2007

Book Review



I read this book years ago when I was still in high school and i loved it.
I recently took the time to read it again, and I loved it even more! I think it's because I can better understand the complex emotions that came with it.


The story revolves around the authors personal experiences during the Vietnam war. She works as a spy, gets tortured, is sentenced to death, raped, and becomes a fugitive all before her 15Th birthday.

After her escape from death she works as a waitress, maid, black market vendor, and even a prostitute. She is the mother of two and plans her escape to the United States by the time she is 20!!

The book shows you a family torn apart by war, and the strength and iron will of a girl from a simple village.
The plot comes full circle after her return to her family 20 some years later. Her family is afraid to be seen with her because the tensions of war are still present.

I highly recommend this book to everyone, its definitely worth a read!
posted by eshda3wa at 2:40 AM

16 Comments:

interesting

November 21, 2007 at 3:41 AM  

Yeah interesting,


And the more interesting part is that you actually "reread" it :P

I guess I'll give it a look, I've been doing well reading and all, but turned to a lazy ass lately.


Adri 7adi qadeema, bss everything's possible, have you read The Kite Runner?

November 21, 2007 at 4:04 AM  

at first i thoguht of checkin it out.. but it sounds disturbing :(
is it very descriptive?

November 21, 2007 at 6:54 AM  

mmm I will try to get my hands on this one soon..

November 21, 2007 at 7:25 AM  

sounds depressing!

November 21, 2007 at 10:16 AM  

sounds like a very strong story :) guess i might check it out, thks

and when you mentioned the "all before 15" ... i was like.. whoa...

November 21, 2007 at 10:50 AM  

shawgtene 3alih!

November 21, 2007 at 3:12 PM  

shaklah 7elo ..
I'll look for it

November 21, 2007 at 3:33 PM  

i never read a book twice !! :D it must been that good !!

November 21, 2007 at 6:06 PM  

tiger
it is

the tooth.fairy
i dont know what ur talking abt :Pp
laa i changed the sentense :)
actually no i did not, i have to book, but i still didnt get around to it. any good?

NQ
its a good book
read it!

speedo
u should

n
its not!
its very interesting

ammaro
i know! wait till u read the details!

ra7alah
its real good!

cat
and tell me wat u think!

navy girl
i do it all the time, bs ya it is good

November 21, 2007 at 9:18 PM  

I can't read this type of books right now. I just finished Khalid's A Thousand Splendid Suns and took a break from depressing novels. Now i'm reading Sidney Poitier's spiritual autobiography, so far so good ;D

November 21, 2007 at 10:30 PM  

wow am sold
I like to see more of these books putting real human stories behind these senseless wars

November 22, 2007 at 10:37 AM  

books, man....who has the time!!

November 22, 2007 at 12:49 PM  

look great

I should take a look on it.

November 22, 2007 at 7:34 PM  

Very nice! I will be checking it out! The problem is that I have a huge pile of books that I haven't finished that I need to! I want closure! lol

November 23, 2007 at 3:24 PM  

thanks for the mini review.

i love reading. and when i was younger, i read a lot. somehow, this passion for reading got shelved when life got busier and busier.

i recently tried to get back into it and sadly, i wasn't as successful as i'd like to be. so far, i've done three books in the last year. nevertheless, i'll keep trying. i'll be adding this one to my "must read" list.

thanks!!

November 23, 2007 at 7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home